Headquartered in NYC with offices in Denver, Los Angeles, and Toronto, Development Counsellors International (DCI) is the leader in economic development and travel marketing. Since 1960, we have worked with more than 500 cities, regions, states and countries, helping them attract both investors and visitors. We specialize exclusively in all phases of economic development and travel marketing. Our mission is to serve as champions for our client communities, helping them to advance their economies by attracting investment, visitors and talent.
One of Outside Magazine’s “Best Places to Work in 2018,” we are looking for a driven, passionate, creative
Director, Digital Operations & Strategy who will be a key member of the agency leadership team.
This job is for you if you thrive in an entrepreneurial, hands-on role. As the Director, Digital Operations & Strategy, you will not only provide recommendations to drive innovative and award-winning digital solutions, but you will also have the chance to flex your digital marketing skills to push projects from ideation to completion.
The ideal candidate will have:
- Experience in tourism (and/or economic development)
- Bachelor’s degree, digital marketing certifications (Google Ads, Facebook Ad, Google Analytics) a plus
- 7+ years of digital marketing and agency experience
- Experience in digital marketing across paid, organic and owned channels, including an agency background with a firm understanding of client relations along with contracts and billing.
- Demonstrated ability to pitch and land new business and manage client accounts and budgets
- Experience in building/scaling and managing digital teams
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively, both verbally and in written format, with varying levels of company staff, clients, contractors and media
- Energetic, self-starter and resourceful problem solver – gets things moving and keeps them on track. High attention to detail, with the ability to manage multiple ongoing activities
- Strong understanding of integrated marketing
If you want to collaborate with our passionate place marketers, share your digital marketing skills, help us create prosperity and growth in our client destinations by providing digital vision, strategy and leadership then keep reading.
What you will do in the first 12 months:
1. Talent & Tools
o Review contractors/vendors currently engaged; make recommendations to build strongest bench
o Determine skill (i.e. training/certifications) and resource gaps (i.e. digital tools)
o Work with HR to develop professional development plans as needed for staff; make recommendations on tools needed
o Work with Sr. Digital Team to determine roles and responsibilities, and digital org structure
o Coordinate a Digital Leadership/Strategy Summit
2. Vision Casting
o Work with research team to conduct small-scale analysis to determine opportunities and develop a plan to advance DCI’s capabilities, case studies, portfolio and resources to enable us to pursue more business in the year ahead.
3. Product Development
o Work with Sr. Digital Team to launch high-quality digital product offerings
4. Oversee DCI Digital (to drive leads and maintain our position as “The Leader in Marketing Places”)
o Review agency’s past and current thought leadership/research
o Conduct analytics of website traffic to the above; and in general
o Maintain, enhance, advise on DCI website
o Strategize/manage digital team’s work on promoting DCI’s thought leadership, agency campaigns, and DCI brand
Essential responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Support work across all digital platforms, including web, paid, owned, mobile and social
- Being the most knowledgeable person in the room on digital strategy
- Ensure that online strategies are integrated with overall PR, messaging, earned media and other aspects of client campaigns and are aligned with broader campaign goals
- Direct digital and social media platforms and communications channels, with a strong understanding of the requirements of digital design [web, mobile, etc.]
- Collaborate with cross-office and cross-disciplinary teams to oversee UX, UI, development, community management and online paid advertising on behalf of multiple clients
- Lead web production teams to oversee development of websites and train clients in CMS
- Provide day-to-day supervision for assigned client accounts, including oversight of work product quality and evaluating success
- Develop and report out on client budgets for profitability, anticipating potential problems
- Lead the building of digital capacity of DCI staff on an ongoing basis
- Ensure that work produced and disseminated by team is of the highest quality, both creatively and strategically
- Provide day-to-day support of DCI’s digital client projects/accounts including strategic counsel, quality control checks and evaluation of accounts progress and client satisfaction
- Ensure that we are effectively engaging client audiences through social media marketing
- Provide thought-leadership on ways client audiences utilize online and mobile communication to help build dialog with various constituencies
- Ensure that we are following the digital conversation around our client and those of their competitors via social listening
- Write contracts, proposals, strategy memos and metric reports
- Monitor client budgets, and if necessary, intervening with assigned Account Director or Vice President to fix budget problems
- Educates new and existing clients about digital marketing capabilities and pitches digital strategies and ideas to them to accomplish their marketing objectives
- Leads client and new business presentations in partnership with the account team
- Responsible for writing and leading proposal development for digital RFPs
Staff Development/ Agency Management:
- Lead digital staff growth and follow performance policies and processes
- Manage allocation of digital team
- Participate in regular strategy meetings with executive team and senior staff to determine organizational goals, growth and vision
- Oversee the development of training programs on digital communications for the marketing teams
Interested and qualified candidates should send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
DCI is an Equal Opportunity Employer.