Travel Marketing: California Targets Its “Neighbors to the North”
Visit California knew that Canadian consumers were a potential tourism gold mine, and sought to leverage Brand USA’s investment there to increase distribution of California tourism product and boost sales.
Craft a proactive education and sales program that introduced Visit California travel industry partners directly to Canada’s leading wholesale packers and retail sellers in both English and French speaking Canada.
- Educated industry partners through a Market Intelligence panel featuring leaders in Canada outbound travel, including the U.S. Commercial Service Office.
- Educated 221 travel agents at events in three key Canadian cities.
- Secured sponsorship of Association of Canadian Travel Agencies (ACTA) Golf Tournament as a platform to educate agents.
- Met face-to-face with 18 key Canadian tour operators to sell California experiences.
- Facilitated training for 138 staff at retailers across Canada including Air Canada Vacations, Fun Sun Vacations/Thomas Cook, G Adventures and Globus/Cosmos.
- 72.7% of California’s industry partners indicated they were “very satisfied” Canadian marketing efforts.
- Visitor arrivals from Canada grew 9.6%.