Talent Attraction Spotlight: Oklahoma CityDecember 14, 2021 | By: Rachel Deloffre
As cities and regions across the country vie for talent, we are featuring economic development organizations implementing creative talent attraction marketing efforts as part of our Talent Attraction Spotlight blog series. This week, we are diving into the Greater Oklahoma City Chamber’s talent attraction campaign.
Talent Program at a Glance:
Duration: Began in 2009; website relaunched in 2019
Budget: $179,000 (events, digital marketing, website)
The Greater Oklahoma City Chamber, which represents the 10-county region, began its talent attraction efforts in 2009 in response to a major Boeing relocation. Since then, its efforts have expanded, and in 2019, the chamber relaunched its relocation and talent attraction website, ABetterLifeOKC.com. Based on talent research, the website includes elements such as:
- Content surrounding jobs, affordability, housing and quality of life
- Aggregated job boards searchable by Oklahoma City’s key industries
- Employer resources section
- Cost of living calculator
- Employee testimonials
The Chamber’s talent efforts don’t stop at the website. Other key pieces of the campaign include:
- A Welcome Guide to help companies retain/recruit talent
- Digital advertising to drive talent to OKC’s website
- Lifestyle public relations, telling positive stories to national media
- Find Your OKC Program, which includes quarterly events to help new employees stay engaged through happy hour receptions with OKC champions
- A Better Life Weekly Digest, which acts as a retention effort, sharing helpful information newcomers want to know when they move to a new city, from dog parks to summer camps.
- OKC Connect Program, a high-level community orientation for new executives, where they meet with key leaders such as the mayor over a four-month period
- A summer internship program, aimed at connecting interns to the community and each other
Why It Works:
- Customer-Centric Focus: HR leaders from the region’s fastest-growing companies are engaged as part of a Talent Council that consistently provides feedback on talent attraction and retention efforts and was involved in building OKC’s new talent website. Anecdotal feedback from this important group is a key measure of success.
- Employer’s Portal: Featured on the website, this gives HR and workforce recruitment professionals all the Chamber’s recruitment and relocation tools in one place.
- Tie-in With Chamber-Run News Website: In response to the changing media landscape, the Chamber launched velocityOKC.com, a news-style site featuring positive lifestyle and economic development stories. The site consistently publishes stories on rankings and lifestyle, which are repurposed through additional channels for talent attraction.
- Since launching the 2019 site, monthly visitors and sessions have more than doubled
- From June – October 2021, the website averaged nearly 12k sessions per month