About Andy Levine
As the son of Ted Levine, founder of Development Counsellors International, Andy was introduced to the world of economic development and travel marketing at birth. Since joining the firm in 1991, Andy has helped launch the company into a new era, advancing the quality of client work performed, growing the number of staff and adding to the range of client services offered.
Andy’s Passion for Places
The Johnny Cash song, “I’ve Been Everywhere,” could be Andy’s theme song – and he has the frequent flyer miles to prove it. For Andy, marketing places is dramatically different than promoting consumer products – and much more fun. Exploring entire communities, sorting out the most interesting stories and storytellers, and then communicating these unique offerings to the right audience are what make place marketing the perfect career for Andy. He believes every place with which DCI works – cities, regions, states and countries – has a unique story to tell – and the company’s job is to dig in and find it.
- On behalf of the South African Tourism Board, Andy arranged for the Sports Illustrated “Swimsuit Issue” to be shot on location in South Africa. Accompanying the well-known photo essay were 16 pages of editorial content profiling South Africa’s diverse tourism offerings.
- For the Greater New Orleans Region, Andy managed a highly successful editorial placement program with results in The Wall Street Journal, The Washington Post, Success, Forbes and CNN. In the program’s first year, 76 placements were achieved with an advertising impact of $5.9 million.
- He developed and continues to direct DCI’s “Winning Strategies in Economic Development Marketing.” First conducted in 1996, this ongoing survey of corporate executives with site selection responsibilities has emerged as a valuable tool for economic developers seeking to understand the “customer’s perspective” on what works in economic development marketing.
When not in an airport, Andy can be found relaxing in his New Jersey home with his best friend and spouse Felicia. Andy’s recreational activities include running, puttering around the house and watching the New York Yankees beat the Boston Red Sox. He and his wife have two adult children – Terry (30) and Evan (22). It’s great to have an empty nest.
Where You’ll Find Andy on Saturday Morning at 7:00 a.m.
Running along the boardwalk along the Jersey Shore. As long as it isn’t pouring or snowing, that’s when he gets a weekly “long run” in.
Places that Andy has Called Home
New York, New York
Rye, New York
Scotch Plains, New Jersey
Ocean Grove, New Jersey
Surprising Facts about Andy
Do Not Disturb….The Wildlife: While on a walking safari in the Umfolozi Game Reserve in South Africa, Andy, his wife Felicia and then 12-year-old son Terry came across a potentially deadly animal – a surprised 2,000-pound Cape Water Buffalo sleeping in the tall grass. After a tense 30-second stare, the animal ran off and the Levines’ collective hearts started beating.
“No” to a Cup of Joe: Coffee anyone? Not Andy. He is one of the few people in the United States who has never tasted coffee. Not a drop. Now a point of pride (and quirkiness), he relentlessly protects his “coffee virginity.”
Heir Guitars: Between Andy and his son Evan, the Levine household contains four acoustic guitars, three electric guitars, two electric basses and two stand-up, double basses. A piano and didgeridoo (direct from Australia) round out this musical household. Andy and Evan have also attended a week-long National Guitar Workshop for the past two years.
Recent Blog Posts
- Episode 55: After The HQ2 Reversal: 25 Minutes With Mike Grella, Amazon’s Former Director of Economic Development
- Episode 54: Winning Amazon HQ2: A Conversation With Virginia’s Stephen Moret
- An Unusual Path to the Economic Development Profession
- Development Counsellors International Announces New Presidents
- BMW and South Carolina: The Big Deal That Almost Never Happened
- Phoenix Rising: Quality of Life Drives Kudelski’s HQ Location Decision
- Game On: Trump Administration Moves Forward with SelectUSA
- Talent, Talent, Talent: Citrix Picks North Carolina Over Georgia and Florida
- Talent, Facilities and Market Access Drive NEST iON to Rochester, New York
- Inside the Site Selectors Guild
- More blog posts