Place-marketing firm Development Counsellors International (DCI) is looking to hire a Media Relations Specialist or our Denver office, located in the city’s fast-growing Platte Street/Highlands area.
DCI is a purpose-driven agency with the goal of elevating the lives of people living, traveling and working in the places we serve. Headquartered in New York City, DCI also has offices in Los Angeles and Toronto. As the leader in marketing places, we focus exclusively on telling the stories of cities, states, regions and countries in an effort to drive business development, corporate investment, jobs, and tourism within the destinations we promote. We have worked for more than 500 places in 60 years of business.
For more information about DCI, a repeat winner of Outside Magazine’s “Best Places to Work,” visit www.aboutdci.com.
Are you interested in generating buzz and promoting cities, states and countries as prime locations for business and as great places to work/live?
DCI is seeking a Media Relations Specialist for our Economic Development marketing practice in our Denver office, where the primary role is to lead media relations campaigns on behalf of a variety of clients, with the goal of placing prominent headlines in top-tier print, national, broadcast, and online media.
Here are the skillsets and traits we’re looking for:
- You’re a go-getter who’s not afraid to pick up the phone and pitch reporters or get creative in pitch writing.
- You’ve got top notch client communication skills (both verbal and written).
- You’re comfortable (and confident) in leading and discussing marketing and campaign strategies with clients.
- You consistently place stories that influence public perception of the client.
- You’re a killer writer/editor, with experience developing media strategies, story pitches, byline articles, proposals and more.
- You geek out over topics like economic development, technology, real estate, cities, demographics, education, transportation and more.
- You have a knack for cultivating relationships with both journalists and clients.
- You thrive in a fast-paced environment where each day is different.
- You’ve got a high-achiever attitude but low-stress demeanor.
- You’re a strong team player and communicator who excels in reporting to senior leaders, as well as managing junior staff.
- You love project management and can lead a variety of media relations activities at once – from coordinating desk-side visits with top tier media in major media markets to ongoing proactive pitching on a wide array of storylines for various clients.
- You excel at media monitoring and understanding “what makes news” and national headlines.
Additionally, this Media Relations Specialist MUST have a passion for places – one of DCI’s most intrinsic values. This means you love exploring the world (including your own backyard), meeting new people, engaging in local and authentic experiences and most importantly – you have a knack for uncovering what’s most interesting or unique in the places you visit.
- 5-6 years of PR or marketing experience required; prior agency experience preferred
- Strong media relations and marketing skills across a variety of industries
- Strong writing capabilities
- Track record of consistently placing articles in top-tier media on behalf of clients
- Excellent client management and interpersonal skills
- Strong attention to detail and organization skills; and excellent verbal and written
- communications skills
- Strategic, creative thinker who can develop and execute integrated PR and marketing programs
- Ability to multitask and manage multiple projects for diverse clients while meeting deadlines and maintaining work quality.
- Ability to balance multiple clients, work on tight deadlines and have a drive for hitting goals
- Experience in successfully managing junior staff
- Ability to travel at least 1 week per month if required
- Applicants must be U.S. citizens or have all necessary approvals to live/work in the U.S.
- Valid driver’s license required
- Competitive base salary with unique “open book” management approach that delivers performance-based incentives
- Medical/dental coverage
- Professional mentoring/development
- Flexible start times and summer hours program
- Entrepreneurial culture
- Work from home one day a week
- Paid time off to “do good” as part of DCI Cares
- 401k match
Place “Media Relations” in subject line. Send cover letter stating why you are a good match for DCI and resume by email to [email protected]