The Top 5 Podcasts for Economic DevelopersJanuary 29, 2016
While podcasts have been around for quite some time, they’ve experienced a boost in popularity over the past couple of years. As more influential experts move from sharing their thoughts and insights on a range of topics from the written word to the spoken word, there is an incredible wealth of high-level information available to consume.
For economic developers, it’s important to be up-to-date on current trends, issues and stories that have people talking within the industry. That said, we’ve compiled five of our favorite podcasts that relate to economic development.
- NPR’s Planet Money – This twice weekly podcast covers fascinating stories related to the global economy, ranging from the secret world of auctions to the “economics of Santa.” With the smart tone and witty personality NPR is known for, this podcast will leave you feeling both entertained and educated.
- Peter Day’s World of Business – An institution in British broadcasting, Peter Day shares his expert insights on the world economy, business and finance. With new episodes every week, there isn’t a lot that this BBC podcast doesn’t cover. From the rise of craft breweries to the business of family farms, operas and driverless cars, your “listen to” queue just got a whole lot longer.
- BBC’s Business Daily – Self-described as “the daily drama of money and work from the BBC,” this daily podcast serves as a source for timely and relevant news stories. To stay up to date on the global issues that are impacting the global economy and trade, you shouldn’t miss this essential podcast.
- Financial Time’s Podcasts – The Financial Times knows content and their podcast offering is no exception. Depending on your scope of interest, you can subscribe to the FT Money Show for coverage on timely personal finance insights, the FT News show for stories from Financial Times reporters worldwide or the FT Start-Up Stories podcast for everything entrepreneurial. For the Financial Times die-hard, you could subscribe to all 13 podcasts for a well-rounded and well-informed listening experience.
- Freakonomics – If you haven’t heard of this popular podcast, you need to download this immediately. Originating from the 2005 best-selling book of the same name, Freakonomics is ubiquitous for the economics of pop culture. Making economics accessible for most every topic and person, Freakanomics will challenge the way you think about a variety of issues—and with 5 million downloads every month, you are in very good company.
What podcasts do you listen to to enrich your day and quench your curiosity? We’d love to hear your recommendations in a comment below or tweet us at @AboutDCI.