Ten Ways to Make IEDC Philadelphia The Best Conference You’ll Ever Attend
September 27, 2013
It’s our favorite time of the year: IEDC’s Annual Conference in Philadelphia! And while there are many activities scheduled to keep an economic developer entertained for years, we wanted to give you our top ten list of activities you should consider while visiting the City of Brotherly Love.
- Attend the Chairman’s Reception: There’s no better way to kick-off three full days of economic development professional development than by meeting new friends and reconnecting with your old ones during the Chairman’s ball on Sunday, Oct. 6 at 6 p.m.
- Take the Mystery out of Best Place Rankings: On Monday, Oct. 7 at 10:30 a.m. be sure to get an inside look at how Scott Cohn, Sr. Correspondent of CNBC and Kurt Badenhausen, Senior Editor of Forbes compile their annual “Best Places for Business” rankings.
- Learn the Six Steps to Launch a Digital Ambassadors Campaign: EDOs have managed “ambassador” programs for years with varying degrees of success. But the dramatic growth of social media has led to a new breed of messenger: “The Digital Ambassador.” Hear how the Metro Denver EDC and the El Paso are building networks of social media savvy executives on Monday, Oct. 7 at 12:15 p.m.
- Recharge Your Phone: We know how quickly batteries can run out on cell phones. Feel free to stop by booth 501 to power up (we’ll have plug-ins available) and connect with some of our place marketing pros.
- Find out How to Create the Next Great Startup City: Check out the session on Monday, Oct. 7 at 4 p.m. that highlights how less traditional locations can capitalize on their potential assets as entrepreneurship hubs, grow those assets, and at the same time manage to avoid losing all of their talent to the behemoths.
- Ask Jordan Robinson about Consultant Connect: Stop by our booth to talk to Jordan Robinson (or if she’s not there, anyone at the booth) to learn about Consultant Connect, a ground-breaking program that will help economic development groups raise their game while working with North America’s top site selection consultants.
- Recharge Your Body: Studies have shown that exercise boosts learning, so be sure to join DCI’s Fun Run on Tuesday, Oct. 8 at 6:30 a.m. We’ll have options for a 3 or 6 mile run and a 3 mile walk. The bonus to a healthy start to your day: the first 50 participants get a limited edition t-shirt and all participants will have a chance to experience their own personal Rocky moment.
- Watch a Modern Econ Dev Soap Opera: Hear from the “Young and the Restless in Economic Development” or rather those recently recognized as part of DCI’s 40 under 40 group on their insight on the industry, how they leverage social media, who their mentors are and their hope for the future of the profession. The discussion starts on Tuesday, Oct. 8 at 2:15 p.m. You won’t want to miss it! And while it’s not technically a soap opera, we can’t promise that there won’t be drama.
- Ask Julie Curtin about her Economic Development Marketing Course: Julie will have been in Philadelphia for a few days before the rest of the gang discussing best practices in economic development marketing with more than 90 of your peers. Stop by our booth and ask her some of the key insights and takeaways from the discussion.
- Know Where the Nearest Starbucks Is: It’s in the lobby of the Marriott!