About Ally Carlson
Ally joined DCI after working with Canadian Tire Corporation, a Canadian retail company, where she was integral in developing and executing successful media relations campaigns around product promotions and store openings. Her experience with national print, broadcast and online media throughout Canada allows her to make connections between great PR ideas and the media best suited to tell the story. She garnered a firm foundation in public relations by earning her degree with honors from Durham College.
Ally’s Passion for Places
As a native of Western Canada, Ally moved to Ontario with her family when she was young, but had the opportunity to travel back and visit relatives often. Through regular visits to Banff and Kananaskis, Alberta, Ally began to develop her passion for places, most notably the mountains. Looking to explore other areas of the world, Ally travelled to England where she worked as an Aupair for a year and then to Costa Rica where she spent three months learning Spanish and volunteering in an orphanage. The opportunity to see how others live and what makes them happy is Ally’s favourite part about travelling and exploring new cultures. Her ultimate bucket-list destination is Africa, which she hopes to visit in the near future.
- For Visit California, Ally successfully executed a cross Canada media roadshow, hitting three cities with eight events in just four days, connecting 13 California partners with 110 media.
- Ally played a key role in the planning an execution of “Kevin Climbs Canada,” which saw the professional rock climber scale Toronto’s Royal Ontario Museum crystal. The event, orchestrated for Visit California, resulted in broadcast, print and online coverage that garnered 4.5 million consumer impressions across Canada and 8.2 million social media impressions showcasing Visit California’s Dream Big messaging.
- Ally co-ordinated, planned and executed a multi-platform project with Elle Canada Magazine and Visit California, resulting in two celebrity covers, multi-page fashion spreads and destination spotlights, generating more than 10 million impressions.
Ally grew up just outside Toronto with her parents, older brother and twin sister. From a young age she was always very independent and took every opportunity she could to travel, meet new people and try new things. She is well-known by her friends for three things: going to bed early, being a huge Toronto Blue Jays fan and never saying no to popcorn.
Where you would find Ally on a sunny day:
On a sunny (and warm) day Ally can be found on the water with her dragonboat team, on the ball field with one of her two softball teams, or sitting on the patio at a local restaurant with friends. To simplify, if it is sunny, she’s guaranteed to be outside enjoying the weather.
Places Ally has called home:
Billericay, Essex, UK
Surprising facts about Ally:
Human GPS! Ally has always used her seemingly built-in sense of direction and “old-school” paper maps to get her places and refuses to use a GPS. Her theory is, if you’re heading in the right direction, you’ll get there eventually.
Seeing Double Ally has a twin sister who lives on the other side of Canada in Edmonton. While they don’t see each other often, they frequently discover they’ve had the same dream, got the same song stuck in their head or bought the same article of clothing. Twin power is real!
Baseball Fanatic Ally grew up playing softball in a competitive league and continues to play in two co-ed recreational leagues. She is also a huge Toronto Blue Jays fan and could talk for hours about the players, trades, and the team’s hope for a championship! She got even more involved with the team in 2013 as a member of the Jays Care Foundation Young Professionals Committee, where she works with other Young Professionals to raise money to get youth involved in sport.
Recent Blog Posts
- Lessons from World Travel Market: Trade Show Do’s and Don’ts
- Reaching Canada’s Top Daytime Talk Shows
- How to Pitch: Toronto Star Travel Editor, Jennifer Bain
- How to Pitch Series: Canadian Journalist & World Traveler – Heather Greenwood Davis
- How to Pitch Series: Lucas Aykroyd, North American Travel Writer
- How to Pitch Series: Michael McCarthy, Canadian Travel Writer
- Best Practices for Executing a Group Press Trip
- How to Pitch Series: Kathy Buckworth, Canadian Travel Writer
- How to Pitch Series: WestJet Magazine
- How to Pitch Series: Sarah Bergeron-Ouellet, QMI Agency/Canoe.ca
- More blog posts