“In the era of immediate response, it’s impossible to meet media needs without someone dedicated to delivering. DCI stepped up to respond to journalist inquiries while we made a full-time hire.”
When Visit Santa Barbara’s director of communications departed for another DMO, the tourism office was left with a staffing gap until they made a new hire.
The DCI Strategy
To meet the short-term need, DCI became a virtual extension of the Visit Santa Barbara team. The strategic mind of a senior communication consultant provided insight into the destination’s approach, while a savvy publicist responded to media inquiries.
- Provided advice and counsel ranging from industry award opportunities and judging procedures, to potential event speakers/panelists and managing corrections in editorial on the destination.
- Conducted reactive lead pitching and responded to in-bound media inquiries, facilitating information distribution, fact-checking and image requests.
- Drafted and managed distribution of monthly press releases and tailored media pitches
- Booked a New York City media mission, including nine appointments with such strategic top-tier outlets as Brides, Latina, Parents, and Teen Vogue.
- Evaluated hosted media requests and provided strategy recommendations, in addition to securing five journalists for group press trip focused on family travel.