Peru Tourism Triumphs Over Mudslides
Consumers are increasingly asking for Peru because of the DCI campaign that supports every aspect of our marketing program in North America.”
Floods crippled road and rail access near Machu Picchu, Peru’s most popular tourism site, rendering the area virtually inaccessible to visitors.
The DCI Strategy
Prepared a plan of action for after the floods ceased that included an aggressive media relations and trade marketing program; this showcased to consumers that Peru’s top tourism site was open and ableto welcome visitors.
- Crafted the messaging to address public concern and safety of visitors from North America.
- Distributed updates on evacuation of visitors, recovery and rebuilding efforts.
- Co-sponsored a travel trade event with Condé Nast Traveler that drew 43 industry leaders from companies including FROSCH, Global Travel, Signature Travel Network and Travel Weekly.
- Hosted a “welcome back press trip” which included including Coastal Traveler, ELLE Canada, HotelChatter, Jaunted and NUVO Magazine that garnered positive press both in North America and Peru.
- Despite interrupted access to Machu Picchu, North American tourism arrivals grew by 2% year-over-year.