7 Ways Placemakers Can Donate To Those Affected By Hurricane Harvey
September 6, 2017
With some areas of Texas and Louisiana reaching nearly 50 inches of rainfall, unprecedented flooding from Hurricane Harvey has devastated southeastern Texas and Louisiana, resulting in the displacement of nearly 30,000 people, prompting more than 13,000 rescues.
Natural disasters such as Hurricane Harvey are undoubtedly detrimental to the stability of the affected region. Development Counsellors International embodies a “passion for places,” especially in times of crisis, and encourages the greater tourism and economic development community to lend a hand to those in need, during this difficult time.
Leading industry organizations, such as Professional Convention Management Association (PCMA), Destinations International and International Economic Development Council (IEDC) have outlined ways our place-maker community can help those affected. Read on to learn how to best contribute to relief efforts:
- Donate your time with IEDC: IEDC is gearing up to provide a range of assistance to the regions impacted by Hurricane Harvey. The organization is seeking volunteers interested in helping with the economic recovery process. Activities may include community consulting, serving as an instructor on key economic recovery topics, serving as a volunteer at a business recovery center, and more. Those interested should fill out this form.
- Share the “Leadership in Times of Crisis” Toolkit: The Leadership in Times of Crisis Toolkit developed by IEDC provides useful tips to use in the time of crisis and afterward. Those looking for economic recovery, or know someone who needs help can find assistance here.
- Donate via a Simple Text: Those living in the United States can send a text to 41444 to donate to PCMA’s Hurricane Harvey Fund. Enter prefix “HELPTX,” the dollar amount, enter a first name and last name — e.g., HELPTX 50 Jane Doe, to receive a link to complete the donation process.
- Donate internationally via PCMA: Those living outside of the United States can visit the PCMA’s donation page hereand enter “HELPTX” in the “I give because” box for donations to be directed to the PCMA Hurricane Harvey Relief Fund.
- Donate to the American Red Cross: Donations can be made to the Texas Gulf Coast American Red Cross here. The organization provides life-saving services to more than 9 million people in cities such as Corpus Christi, Beaumont, Galveston and Houston.
- Donate through Global Giving to provide necessities to victims: Global Giving has set a goal to raise US$2 million to support hurricane victims. The organization provides food, gas, clean water, hygiene products, and shelter in the short-term, and then funnels the remaining resources to local organizations to facilitate long-term recovery.
- Support Texas based charities: This list, compiled together by Texas Monthly, is a curated list of organizations that are helping storm victims. The organizations included in the list are Texas-based organizations that ensure those impacted by the storm have the resources they need while coping with this crisis.
The recovery efforts in Houston and throughout the affected areas will need monetary support for months, and even years, to come. Our agency, Development Counsellors International (DCI) has launched a donation match of up to $5,000 in partnership with our staff, with the goal of donating up to $10,000 to the Houston area and surrounding communities in the coming months.
Our thoughts are with the communities affected at this time.